Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Animal Farm, George Orwell

Animal Farm, George Orwell
***** (5 stars) from KATIE (age 15)
This book was such an eye opener! When my mom handed it to me to read I didn't really have any idea of the content. I remember her saying something about Stalin but that's it.
The beginning made me think it was simply a child's bedtime story. I loved the storyline! The animals become tired of the way their master treats them so they run him out of the farm yard, determined to start their own system of running things. I thought it was very cute! But then subtle things started to happen. These things gave me a queasy feeling, and about halfway through the book I could tell where the "animal farm" was headed.  It was crazy the way the animals become so blinded so quickly while still thinking they had freedom! 
Jack and I were just talking about it and he said, "I just can't believe humans can be so stupid! Animals, yes. Humans?"
It isn't a very uplifting book but it is definitely worth the time to sit down and read. It's short so it wouldn't take that long.
For boys and girls alike 11+.   I think the older you are the more you'll get out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment